History of the School
The School was founded in 1873 by Canon John Duncan, the vicar of Calne. He was a man of vision and determination and for over thirty years worked unstintingly to establish St Mary's as an outstanding girls’ school with an Anglican foundation.
John Duncan’s vision was of an excellent academic grounding for girls, offered in an environment where each girl was encouraged to develop her individuality and fulfil her potential. These principles still form the basis of a
St Mary’s education today and Old Girls are to be found in all walks of life.
The history of the school, tracing its growth from its beginnings to the late 20th century, can be found in ‘St Mary’s School Calne 1873-1986’ (ISBN: 0 948640 10 3) by Kay Stedmond, former Deputy Head of the School.
"Our hope must be that in the years ahead the school will continue to reflect the vision of its Founders and Benefactors (page 222)"